Happy patients share their stories
I Was Reluctant, but Now I’m a Believer!!

By: Amy S.

On May 31, 2012, my husband, Walter, was in a car accident. Outside of initially being quite shaken, we thought nothing was really wrong. However, the aches in the back and neck soon set in. A few days later, Walt attended a seminar at Fort Campbell, where Dr. Dale Brown was speaking. Excited that maybe Dr. Brown could ease him of his pain, he asked that I go with him to get checked. He also thought Dr. Brown could ease my migraines as well. “No, you go ahead without me. Just let me know what you decide.” So Walt went, and found out that he did need care. The following week, Walt asked me again if I would go with him to view his x-rays. “Sure, whatever,” I responded thinking what was he getting himself into. We went. We saw x-rays. I listened, ready to shoot down anything I disagreed with. I wasn’t impressed. I was reluctant and a non-believer. As a nursing student, I thought that Dr. Dale was wrong and there was nothing that was going to change my mind.

A few months passed and Walt, who had been on Lisinopril (diabetes and hypertension) and Metformin (diabetes) was now off his meds and had dropped a few pounds. “Please go. Let’s get those headaches out of the way,” I again told him no. Sure, I was impressed with how Dr. Brown had helped Walt, but I really just didn’t think he could help me. I had been suffering from migraines since high school. As I got older, the headaches became more frequent. By the time I was pregnant with my 8th child, Uriah, headaches were occurring several times a week. I was given Hydrocodone (narcotic pain reliever) to keep them in check, but I was still getting headaches. By the time I was 8 months pregnant, I was taking Hydrocodone 3 times a day for pain. After a short time, it appeared that even this drug wasn’t working and I then was sent for an MRI to rule out any brain diseases; nothing was found. Shortly after, I was taken off the meds. Thank God I didn’t develop an addiction to the meds, but our little boy had trouble breathing at delivery. After a weeklong stay in the NICU, we brought our little one home, but it appeared he was still recovering from the drug I had used. As time passed, he appeared to get better, but later delays in speech and motor skills appeared and soon we had to employ the help of therapists for Uriah.

Even after all of this, I remained with the neurologist that I was seeing because I still was convinced that only medication could keep the migraines in check. I was soon on 4 different meds for the headaches; Phenergan (to help prevent migraines), Imitrex (for migraines), Relpax (for migraines), and Maxalt (to treat migraines). However, the meds made me groggy and often didn’t help with the pain. After about a year of this, I decided to go off of them on my own and quit seeing the neurologist.

More months passed. I often went to the office with Walt and watched while he had his adjustments. I talked to the staff and Dr. Brown, but there was no way I was ever going to be adjusted! I just wasn’t comfortable with what I was seeing or hearing or being touched for that matter.

Then, Thanksgiving night of 2012, not paying attention to where I was going, I ran into the front glass door of our oldest son’s apartment and broke my nose. The pain was unbelievable! More headaches followed the injury coupled with intense pain in my right eye that would water profusely. This would only happen when I would wake up in the morning, but not often enough that I was concerned. By Christmas it was pretty much part of my morning. Christmas morning, I woke with the intense pain and watering, but I was darn determined that I was going to put our little girl’s My Little Pony castle together. I was frustrated and angry, soon I was in tears. I told Walt that we really need to get something done about this issue. However, a few days later, when Walt asked me to go get adjusted, I once again refused.

Right before school had let out for Christmas, our son Adam woke up with a really bad cramp in his neck. He was in so much pain and I just really had no idea what to do. Walt asked me if I would let him take Adam to see Dr. Brown. I knew I didn’t want Adam to see his pediatrician because I feared Adam would be put on muscle relaxers and pain killers. Not something anyone should be on, especially a 10 year old! We all went to see Dr. Brown, where Adam was soon adjusted. I watched intensely, ready to grab my son and go at the first sign of harm. Instead of being hurt, Adam felt better instantly! Still, I wasn’t convinced that Dr. Brown could relieve my ailments.

By now it’s February and I attended the Resolve Advanced Workshop. I listened thinking there was some pretty good information offered but still wasn’t ready to get that first adjustment. I talked with Laura and Jaemi and even took a medical form home with me to fill out. I got home, put it on a shelf and walked away from it. At the same time, I began to have some chest pain, which really scared me. I visited the ER where a bunch of tests were done, but nothing was conclusive. I left with instructions to rest and a consultation to see a cardiologist. I honestly didn’t think I had anything to worry about. Heart disease doesn’t run in my family. I exercise pretty regularly, eat healthily and had shed about 145 pounds in the last two years. Nevertheless, I was scared and I began to think that Dr. Brown was the one I should see instead of this cardiologist. So that day, I filled out my paperwork, turned it in at the office and that was going to be it – for now anyway.

During this time, our son, Simon, was having issues with headaches and like his younger brother, Adam, had been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. Willingly, I let the boys see Dr. Brown for I was beginning to see the difference in the health of Adam and was hoping to see the same for Simon. Just maybe, I thought, this really could be beneficial to me, as well. I decided to go ahead and get those x-rays done and just get them out of the way. However, even after my husband and I talked to Dr. Brown about the x-rays and he suggested I be adjusted that day, there was no way I was ready for that to happen. He’s been really patient!

In March 2013, a migraine hit – a bad one. I called my husband and literally begged him to take me to see Dr. Brown. When we got to the office, I was terrified to go in. Walt went on in to get adjusted; I sat in the van in tears. Finally, I got the courage to go in. I was terrified of being adjusted. Walt stayed with me and Dr. Brown was very understanding. A tense as I was, the adjustment went well. However, I left with that headache. Dr. Brown asked that I take no meds and Jaemi suggested I drink ginger root tea to help with the inflammation. I went home to sleep, a little disappointed that I was still in pain, nearly convinced that I had been right all along. The next morning proved to be a different story! I woke up with no pain, no residual pain, and no groggy feeling that I had always experienced in the past. It was like I never had a headache in the first place! I had never gotten over a headache so fast before!

I was seeing the results I wanted, finally. I began to trust Dr. Brown. He asked us to bring the other children in because he wanted to help them. Honestly, I didn’t think that the other children needed adjustments, but at this point I was willing to give him a chance to work with our kids; maybe he’d see something I didn’t and get my kids healthy. I did know that Uriah had been diagnosed with a developmental delay, but after a couple of adjustments, Uriah’s teachers noticed that he was doing better in school; something must have just clicked with him, his teachers would say. I was amazed!

Now fast forward to the present (July 2013). I have no more morning eye pain and no more watery eye. Migraines are fewer and with adjustments, I get over them so much faster than I ever did with medications. Plus, as of this morning, I noticed I haven’t had any plantar fasciitis pain in a few months! I had ruptured the plantar fascia in my left foot a few years ago. I was told it was a chronic injury, given a year’s worth of a prescription ibuprofen, and I just had to learn to live with it. I soon quit taking that medication too because I saw no relief in taking it. Unbelievable, isn’t it?

So, it took about 9-10 months from the first time I walked through the doors of Marathon Chiropractic before I finally got my first adjustment. Our family does everything together: pray, play, eat, and get adjusted! I have seen a major reduction in headaches, sneezing (which I thought might be allergy related), fidgeting, and generally better health in all of us. The boys seem more focused and Uriah continues to improve academically. We eat healthier, feel better, and sleep well.

As for me, I was skeptical and afraid. Dr. Dale and his wonderful staff have been patient and understanding with me. I truly appreciate that, because they have been a Godsend to my family.

Thank you, Dr. Dale Brown, for turning our lives around. God bless you!

My Son Had a Seizure

By: Ashanti H.

I first came to Marathon Chiropractic when a family friend suggested it after my son had a seizure. there were no king of symptoms or anything that doctors could find that may have been the cause. I brought him in out of hope and after his first visit, I noticed changes. Not only has he had no seizures since, his heart rate & breathing, which I was silently worrying about, improved. In the little time we’ve been here me and my family have learned so much about the true meaning of being healthy. I am truly grateful for Dr. Dale!

My Family is Free!

By: Jaemi S.

Our journey to health started in May of 2012. My husband met Dr. Dale through our local radio station. He was discharged from the Army in 2005 with Crohn’s Disease. We were told that this was something he would have for the rest of his life, to be prepared to wear a colostomy bag because he was going to have to wear one and to be prepared to fight colon cancer. There was no way that at his age he wouldn’t have to. He was taking Budesonide (a steroid for the inflammation in his colon and intestines), Azathioprine (a chemotherapy drug to suppress his immune system), Vitamin D, and a drug for acid reflux.

After listening to Dr. Dale and hearing what he had to say about stomach issues and the nervous system, we knew we had to do something different. After going to view my husband’s x-rays, we learned that the lower part of the spine is the area that is related to the stomach, intestines, colon, etc. My husband herniated a disc in his lower back while he was deployed in Iraq, and not long after started to develop the Crohn’s Disease symptoms. My husband started care with Dr. Dale and we started to notice a significant improvement in his health.

Seeing these improvements, we knew that our entire family needed care. I’ve had migraine headaches my entire life. After starting care, they improved dramatically. Our sons have both dealt with allergies all their lives. My oldest son was diagnosed with his first ear infection at 2 months old and was given antibiotics. After that, we did a round of antibiotics every month until he was 3 years old. At three, the doctors wanted to put tubes in his ears. Before we did that we saw a specialist who told us that he just had fluid behind his ears because of the allergies. She put him on a Flonase (a steroid nasal spray) and Zyrtec (a prescription allergy medicine). When our youngest son was born, the doctor told us to use Claritin (a prescription allergy medicine) when he needed, but we had to watch his cough that developed because it could turn into asthma. When we brought our boys to see Dr. Dale our youngest son was dealing severely with his allergies. He had dark circles under his eyes, he coughed throughout the night, his nose constantly ran, and he was generally miserable. After his first adjustment, he slept the night without coughing, the dark circles cleared up and his nose quit running. My oldest son, who had sneezed at least once every day since he was born has quit sneezing, his nose doesn’t run or bleed (the Flonase he took for 2 years started causing his nose to bleed as soon as we used it each night, so we stopped giving it to him).

As we have continued to get adjusted and have implemented the other 5 Essentials (Maximized Mind, Maximized Nerve Supply, Maximized Quality Nutrition, Maximized Lean Muscle & Oxygen, and Minimized Toxicity), we have seen our health continue to improve. My husband has none of the symptoms of Crohn’s Disease, has been completely off all of his medications since September of 2012, and lost a total of 85 pounds since January of last year. We have gotten rid of all medications in our house because we don’t deal with sickness anymore. We are taking care of our spines and making sure the rest of our bodies are being taken care of as well!!

I know that we have changed the course of our family’s health legacy and that my boys will remain healthy through the rest of their lives because they are learning what to do now instead of having to wait until they are sick and broken to start the journey to health.